» Skating School
Welcome to RMU Island Sports Center's Learn to Skate USA!
mission of RMU ISC Skating School & Learn to Skate USA is to provide
a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating.
Stemming from the rebrand of the Basic Skills Program, Learn
to Skate USA offers an abundance of enhancements tailored toward improving the
experience for rinks, instructors, parents
Learn to Skate USA is the only ice skating program endorsed
by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, and U.S. Speedskating. Learn to Skate USA
offers every participant a rewarding experience rooted in the lifelong benefits
of ice skating.
Objectives of RMU ISC Skating School & Learn to Skate USA:
- Teach children and adults the fundamentals of ice skating while building confidence and skills through each lesson.
- Provide a progressive curriculum that ensures success from the first steps on the ice to the mastery of advanced skills.
- Promote the health and fitness benefits of ice skating.
- Equip each participant with the foundation necessary to reach their goal, be it recreational, hockey or figure skating.
- To have FUN while learning a lifelong skill!
SKATERS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY PARTICIPATED IN THE RMU ISC PROGRAMS WITH TOT 1, 2, 3, 4 and/or PRE-ALPHA, ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA & DELTA WILL BE PLACED IN THE APPROPRIATE CLASS BASED ON THE LEARN TO SKATE USA CONVERSION CHART. SEE LEVEL DETAILS BELOW.Skating School Class Benefits
* Upon completion of a skater's first skill test (Snowplow Sam 1 and/or Basic 1,) the skater must become a member of the Learn to Skate USA through the Learn to Skate USA organization. See membership details below.
- Learn to Skate USA basic ice skating skills curriculum
- Skill levels*:
- Little Stars Programs: Ages 3 - 5: Snowplow Sam 1, 2, 3, & 4, Tot Basic 1
- Level 1 Class: Basic 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Previously Pre-Alpha & Alpha)
- Level 2 Class: Basic 5 & 6 (Previously Beta, Gamma & Delta)
- Skill level evaluation and testing
- Learn to Skate USA merit badges and test certificate for each skill level successfully completed
- Free skate rental
- Public skating session following Learn to Skate Class is included
*Learn to Skate USA Membership
Upon completion of a skater's first skill test (Snowplow Sam 1 or Basic 1) skaters must become members of the 2016-17 Learn to Skate USA Membership season in order to advance to the next skill test level in the Little Stars or Level 1 or Level 2 programs.
Skaters my register at: https://www.learntoskateusa.com/signuphomepage/ and click on 'become a member'. Once you have completed the registration process you will be e-mailed a confirmation page with a confirmation number. We will need this number to enroll you in the Skating School programs.
The Annual fee is $12 + $1.25 processing & handling fee ($13.25)
- Be a member of the best skating program endorsed by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey and US Speedskating.
- Gain great information to make sure your first glides on ice are successful ones.
- Access full listings of where to sign up for skating classes.**
- Receive a Welcome Packet in the mail
- Receive secondary sport accident insurance
- Participate in lessons, performances, competitions, and all activities associated with Learn to Skate USA.
This membership fee is valid through June 30, 2017.
Skating School Policies
- Pre-registration 7 days before the first day of class, as indicated on the registration form, will receive a $10.00 discount
- Full payment with registration is required to enroll in Skating School Program
- Class size is limited and enrollment will be on a first come, first served basis
- A minimum of 3 students must be enrolled at each level or classes will be combined
- Additional family members enrolled in the same Skating School Program series will receive a 10% discount on program cost
- Students must attend the same class day and time in which they are registered throughout the program series
- Open enrollment is available throughout the program series, provided space is available. The cost will be prorated accordingly.
- Make-up classes are limited to ONE within a program series and must be completed BEFORE the end of the registered series. There are no refunds or credits if a student is unable to attend the make-up class. A make-up class is not permitted for missing the Bring a Friend Skate.
To register for any of the Skating School programs including: Learn to Skate Level 1 & 2 and Little Stars programs, please contact the customer service desk by calling: 412.397.3335 - press "0" to be connected to the Customer Service Desk . If they are not with another customer, they will be able to take your call and register the skater(s) over the phone with a credit card. Full payment is due at time of registration. You may also register in person by going to the main desk at the Island Sports Center.
Additional questions may be directed to Skating Director, Beth Sutton
: 412.397.4469 or email@example.com
TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES: LOG-IN TO REGISTER ON-LINE OR CALL: 412.397.3335
Press "0" to be connected to Customer Service Desk.
ON-LINE REGISTRATION IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR CLASSES 48 HOURS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE SESSION.
Please see "Related Links" on the left of this page for schedules and additional information.
Please Note: Classes have a limited number of spaces and tend to fill-up prior to the first day of classes. Please register early to ensure a spot for your skater(s).
Skaters who are currently enrolled in the Skating School program DO NOT need to wait for their evaluation/testing to register for the next session of classes.
2016-17 Skating School Brochure (pdf)
Helpful Hints Fliers:
First Day of Skating
Getting Started in Ice Skating
Getting The Most Out of Your Skating